Thursday, October 10, 2013

September 30 - October 4




     This week I learned about many different theories, but the one I was most interested in and felt like it applied to my own family is the "Exchange Theory". This theory is about how individuals within a family expect things in return when they give something out. For example, if a mother cooks for the entire family, she might expect one of the oldest child to wash the dishes, or if siblings borrow each others stuff they expect to hear a "thank you" for letting them borrow it. Exchange theory can be implied in many ways, not just like in my examples. A way that this theory applies into my own family is my dad always expecting his children to complete our chores in order for him to give us something we wanted, sometimes we wanted a toy or a chance to go out with friends etc. Many families practice this theory unconsciously but it does not describe how a family works entirely, this theory is just a small fraction of how a family works.

No comments:

Post a Comment